There are 1.9 million older people (over 50) living in London and that number is increasing all the time. It’sestimated that four out of 10 people over 50 do little or no exercise. Inactivity puts you at greater risk of:
- Heart disease
- Some cancers
- Osteoporosis, leading to fractures (half the number of hip fractures could be avoided with regular physical activity)
- Obesity and related health problems
GPs highly recommend low impact activities for those who have been inactive for a long time. The Keep Active Project approaches inactivity using Qi Gong and Tai Chi techniques, which have many holistic benefits such as.
- Specific exercises for joints and organs
- Improving flexibility and balance
- Reducing anxiety and stress
- Increasing vitality and focus
- Meeting great like-minded people
Since the success of the early pilot scheme at the LICC (Lewisham Irish Community Centre) we have continued to serve the community.
Training4Life hold specialist classes each Monday from 11am-12pm at the Lewisham Irish Community Centre, 2a Davenport Road London SE6 2AZ. £5 per session email info@training4life for more details.