Did you know that standing up for just three hours a day has the same health benefits as doing ten marathons a year?
According to a leading sport medicine consultant Dr Mike Loosemore, people should be encouraged to do more low impact exercise, and make minor lifestyle changes such as standing up more often. He also claims that being on your feet for three hours, five days a week, is as effective as running ten marathons a year and can extend life by two years.
Data from the British Chiropractic Association show that:
Half do not leave their desks, even to have lunch
Two thirds of people also sit down at home when they get home from work.
Stand Up For More Life!
Qi Gong is a low impact no nonsense exercise which has benefitted millions of people over thousands of years.
There are numerous postures, which would be beneficial to anybody’s fined tuned health routine, or for those searching for an easy way to get their health back on track.
The ‘Embrace The Tree’ posture is one of the classic standing forms in Qi Gong. There are numerous ways of performing this posture but the basic principles of this foundation stance are:
- The feet should be about shoulder width apart.
- The knees should be bent, but no lower then your ability to see your toes over your knees. If you cannot see your toes you are bending to low.
- The feet should be pointed straight ahead or slightly inward.
- The wrists are at the level of the shoulders.
- The elbows can be lower than the wrists and shoulders.
- The shoulders must be relaxed
- The fingers should be pointing towards each other, allowing the flow of qi from one hand to the other.
Please consult your doctor or health professional before taking up any new exercise routines.